Beat the post Christmas blues – Tips to lose that festival weight
Post Christmas and New Year’s Eve, you are often left wondering how to get back in shape. Your top priority is to undo the damage caused by the partying and binging during the festive season.
The post festive blues bring with it undesirable weight gain, accompanied by the guilt of ruining your perfectly healthy lifestyle. It is now time to shift to top gear and focus your attention on getting back on track and achieving your desired fitness goals.
Here are a few tips to beat that holiday weight gain:
- Ditch the guilt, set realistic goals and move forward. Stop dwelling in the guilt of over indulging in the wrong food choices during the festive period. This can again lead to depression and overeating. Be realistic while setting weight loss goals to avoid disappointment and ensure results. Your weekly target should be around 750g to 1 Kg.
- Drink plenty of water. Water helps in detoxification as well as weight loss. Consumption of sufficient amount of water prevents water retention and leaves you feeling fresh, light and healthy. Avoid all soft drinks, excessive caffeine and alcohol. Opt for healthier drinks like fresh lime juice or tender coconut water.
- Go easy on the alcohol. Don’t forget alcohol just adds on unnecessary calories. If you are trying to lose weight it is best to avoid alcohol consumption.
- Watch what you eat. Avoid all junk, fast, processed and packaged foods. After enjoying the holiday treats, it is time to cut out the high calorie sweets, cakes and desserts. Do not give into cravings for 10 minutes. Get rid of temptation, give the remaining sweets away. Focus on eating light. Include fresh fruits and salads, lean meats, whole grains, unprocessed nuts, legumes. Also make sure to include foods rich in omega 3 fatty acids like flax seed, walnuts, etc.
- Keep a food journal. Record whatever you eat or drink in the day, this will help you to keep a check and see where you are going wrong.
- Exercise. Exercise aids metabolism and helps you to knock of that festive weight gain and get fitter. Start or restart your exercise routine. Get active, hit the gym, and incorporate weight training in your workout to build more muscle, which in turn will burn more calories.
- Relax – Give yourself a break. Take one step at a time. If you go wrong with what you eat start fresh, get back on track and focus on eating healthy.
Enter the New Year motivated to lead a healthier lifestyle. Be fit, be healthy and be happy.